Sunday, August 23, 2009

Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar & Vanilla




Here's tonight's dessert,


Planned for dinner, this was too sweet and we were too full of Gruyere Penne to eat this for the main course. This was delicious.

I have a big sweet tooth so growing up my mother used to make this sweet dish to satisfy my cravings and to get me to eat my vegetables. I decided to try it out on my own for the first time. It's a very simple recipe but takes a little muscle to cut through the squash.

Cut the squash in half vertically. Spoon out the seeds (save for a tasty baked snack.) Place in a shallow dish and fill with 1/2 inch of water. Fill the squash with brown sugar, a little butter, and a little vanilla. I sprinkled cinnamon around the edges for a little more flavor and color. Baked for a little over and hour or until a fork can cut through easily. Enjoy your dessert.

To go along with this, I seasoned the squash seeds with cinnamon, a little sugar and a few dashes of chili powder. I baked them for 15 minutes and they were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment