Wednesday, September 9, 2009



So I haven't posted in a while but I have been cooking and continued taking pictures. Michael left for Peru a few weeks so ago in honor of him and his trip I decided to make Baked Sweet Plantains and Orange Ginger Asparagus. I know asparagus isn't really Peruvian but the asparagus actually came from Peru so I thought it counted. Both dishes turned out muy bueno! I bought a black plantain and let it ripen a few days to make sure it would be sweet enough. I don't know if you have ever cooked with plantains but I learned that peeling the skin off is much harder than an regular banana. I cut both ends off the plantain then using a paring knife cut through the skin vertically. I made a few cuts so that it would be a little easier but I still ended up peeling a little of the plantain out. I have never cooked plantains and the ones I have eaten were fried so I tried to make it a little healthier. I think next time I will add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

Baked Sweet Plantains
2 black plantains
1/2 cup skim milk
cinnamon
nutmeg (not too much because it can become a little overwhelming)
Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes


Orange Ginger Asparagus
half a bunch of asparagus
fresh ginger peel
grated orange peel
toasted sesame seeds

Saute the asparagus until bright green adding in the ginger and orange peel
Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over asparagus

No comments:

Post a Comment